Thursday, January 12, 2006

Stampeding Muslims, New New Creation

I'm curious: does anyone recall seeing the word "stampede" associated with groups other than Muslims? ...because I've seen it before, in regard to the annual pilgrimage to Mecca; the devout tend to get a little out-of-control there. I can't think of sufficient analagous situations in the west -- though that Who concert in Cincinatti comes to mind -- so I'm not quite sure about this, but it seems to me that it is very uncommon to speak of human beings "stampeding." It seems like a word usually reserved for cattle. What does it mean, then, that Muslims are the only humans we speak of as stampeding? Does this indicate a weird twist on the anti-Muslim tendancies in American media... or is it in fact somehow appropriate? Though the dictionary does include the possibility of people stampeding, I somehow don't think that if a group of overzealous Christians did something like this, the word "stampede" would be used...

Speaking of Christians, keep it a secret, but the New Creation (see article below) apparently have recorded a new album -- or so I'm told by Will at Companion Records. I'm intrigued...


ADDENDUM (January 27): a Los Angeles radio station is in hot water for this insensitive skit making fun of the "stampede deaths."

No comments: