Friday, June 29, 2012

Contemplating a withdrawal, plus Daniel Johnston review

Looks like I may have to call this quits again for awhile. I have more Beyond the Black Rainbow stuff pending, but it's become pretty apparent that I'm not going to be able to support myself through writing anytime soon, and that my involvement in blogging or trying to interface with the music/ cinema scene in Vancouver - at least as I have been doing it - is not only not leading anywhere, but is standing as a distraction from serious life issues, like, say, getting a job. I guess I had hoped when I set out on this course - the whole freelance journalist/ blogger thing - there might be work at the end of the tunnel, but it's failed to materialize, such that this no longer seems a justifiable use of my time and energy. Hell, I'm not even sure if contributing to the Straight makes sense, at this point; I can't pay my rent on an article or two every few months...

...Though speaking of the Straight, I reviewed Daniel Johnston's new hardcover comic book, Space Ducks, in this week's issue - an interesting and fun little assignment. Thanks to Adrian Mack for recommending me for the job and Brian Lynch for askin' me to do it...

No comments: